Friday, March 15, 2019

Project 4 - Rough Draft Ideas

Out of UWF’s array of properties, I feel that I am most interested in looking further into the nature trails on main campus. Many times when I have long breaks in between classes, I will go out to Edward Ball Nature Trail with friends to look around and unwind. While I currently do not have a definite idea on what I wish to look into (due to having to be in the earlier stages of research), I do want to work with the natural resources I can find on the trails to make my final piece; some of the materials include the soil/dirt samples along the trails, water samples, and foliage. Since temperatures are warming up, I am also curious to see if anything can be done relating to floral plants (if such can be found along the trails).

As I understand that the process of reading is part of the overall artwork/project, I am curious to see if differences in color and texture can be found from dirt samples taken along the trail that vary in environment (such as areas that are closer to water, farther from water, under foliage, richer in minerals, and etc.). As a final piece, I will like to make something that appears tile-like or quilt-like that can show small differences in color and texture (similar to the style of Mark Rothko and how he places various colored rectangles/squares with various hues and shades to create his abstract color field paintings). At this moment, I will only perform fieldwork when there is no rain since color and texture can be affected by an increase in water/humidity (this is mainly to maintain various samples under similar conditions without the influences of big external factors).

No comments:

Post a Comment